Sunday, October 30, 2011

A very long first part of the trip

Today is day 1 of vacation.
Of course it started pretty early as I had to get a few things in order before I leave but above all I had to pack.
Flight #1 was at 14:40 direction Amsterdam. When we booked we had 2 options. This flight with 5 hours in Amsterdam or a later one with a little less than 1h30. Given it's vacation and didn't want to risk anything we went for the earlier one. Truth is that the famous city hopper flight between Brussels and Amsterdam (30min flight) is very often late. Naturally today it was sharp on time. Murphy's law!
We started by trying to get seats on the emergency row to have more leg space. We were instructed to use the machines but it didn't work out so we queued at the counter. Of course the lady at the counter pushed back because for me to get a seat with more leg room I have to pay 30 euros and she was not equipped. Alice being platinum didn't have this issue and could be moved for free. So back to the machines. We tried 5 of them and after the 5th failure the lady attending the machines decided it was enough trying and moved me for free! Yeah!
That's a good way to get started.
Once this was done we still had 4 hours to kill which we occupied with a bit of shopping and relaxing in the lounge (thanks again to Alice's platinum status).
We eventually made it into the aircraft and after a disappointing dinner (I miss business class food and should have had food before hand) I was ready to face 10 hours of flight to fill in with movies. Which I did: super 8, transformers 3, ratatouille, Kung fu panda 2, ocean's eleven. Clearly the theme of this flight was movies with numbers in the title. I did save the latest Harry Potter for the return.
Despite so many movies it was a very long flight as I didn't manage to sleep at all :(

No comments: