Saturday, February 5, 2011

27min

27min. That's how long it took me to bike from work to home this morning.
My bike has been sitting on the parking lot at work for quite some time now. Every now and then I would talk about bringing it back home... but it never happened.
Until today.
I don't know if it's the fact that I don't have a car anymore and want to have one extra way of transportation at home. Or maybe it's because of the campaign at work around biking to work.
Whatever the reason, this morning, I drove to work with Wolfram. We ensured there was enough air in the tires of my now rusted bike (yeah, yeah, made in China is not built to resist Belgium weather) and I left.
Biking turned out pretty easy. There is a biking track most of the 8.3km so I can bike safely.
It was tough when going up hill, especially with frontal wind, given my bike doesn't have gears. My bike is pink, with a basket at the front and a lovely bell... but no gear. Clearly it's not meant for heavy biking but it fulfills pretty well its role.
27min after I left work I arrived home. My bike is now sitting proudly in the garage, right in the middle of our parking spot.
I'm not sure I would consider biking to work on a regular basis but every now and then it could be nice. Still, I need to shower once I arrive and on top of carrying the computer bag I need an extra bag with clothes etc. With 10-15kg extra load on the bike, not sure it will be so easy.

No comments: