Friday, August 31, 2012

Two forks, two spoons

Yesterday after a smooth flight from Paris we arrived in Singapore. We were picked up from the airport to go to Pan Pacific Serviced Suites, the service apartment where we will live for the next two months, until we find an apartment and our container arrives.
Pan Pacific is located on Orchard road, i.e. we will spend the coming two months in the middle of all the shopping centers.
The apartment is small (especially compare to what we are used to) but manageable. There is a hallway where all our shoes are nicely lined up. A walk through kitchen followed by a small living room and a bedroom. The place reminds me of the apartment Alice and some other colleagues had at Somerset in Beijing. Style is overall modern but I find that there could be more light in the place. I guess light has been designed dim to create a lounge feeling.
Breakfast is included in the hugely expensive rent for the month so we tried it out this morning. It was ok with some fruits, toasts, cereals and possibility to eggs or omelette prepared upon your wish. The only negative is that breakfast is not open on Sundays, which paradoxically would be one of the two days of the week we could enjoy a long breakfast.
The funny story of the day, or shall I call it the Asia moment of the day, is the following.
As my mom pointed out the place is designed thinking that people will eat out, i.e. not much cooking involved. As a consequence the kitchen is equipped with the minimum kitchen appliances and two forks, two spoons, two knives, two glasses, two plates, etc. Two pieces of the basics needed in a kitchen.
This morning one of the first things I did was to ask for more cutlery and dishes. Even one person cannot survive the day with two forks or two glasses. When I mentioned it at the reception, I asked for more cutlery because two forks and two spoons are not enough. They said they would bring some more.
And they did. Now we have four forks, fours spoons, two knives, two teaspoons. It seems I should have been either more or less specific in my request to ensure we would get more cutlery (read all of them) as well as more dishes.
At least I had a good laugh when I opened the drawer.
Tomorrow, let's see whether we can get everything doubled.

No comments: