Thursday, January 9, 2014

Frustrating visit at the pediatrician

Today we had an appointment with the pediatrician.
Tess and I took Oskar to the hospital. We arrived there a bit before 2pm to ensure we would not have to wait too long. We were #3 in line. Despite that good position we had to wait for more than 30min. It probably has to do with the fact that the doctor only arrived at 2:15pm.
Today's visit was frustrating because the doctor barely took 5min for us. She focused on getting the shot done, barely checked out Oskar, decided that he had a stiff neck and needed physiotherapy and rushed us out. I had to insist so she would check the lungs as we wanted to make sure his cold was fully gone. When I asked about introducing solid food, she handed me a brochure telling me not before next month while a nurse was already giving her the file of the next patient. When I raised the point of teething, she just stated not before 6 months without looking at Oskar.
I can understand that she wanted to catch up time and that there are many other little patients waiting. I can imagine that most of the questions I have are obvious and she heard them a million times. But as the pediatrician of Oskar, when I ask something about him, giving me a brochure is not satisfying. Telling me to ask the physiotherapist to explain to me what is wrong with Oskar's neck while the physiotherapist does not really know why she is asked to look at Oskar is not filling me with confidence.
We did learn the exercises to stretch his neck that we will diligently execute in the coming three weeks.
We did confirm that he is growing well: 62cm and 6.475kg.
Yet I got out of the hospital with a lot of frustration and wondering whether we should find someone else. Someone who will take the time to show some interest in our son. Someone more like Dr Tan, our gynecologist.



1 comment:

CHRistIAN said...

I understand your emotions in your meaning about the missing interest of the doctors.
It is really impossible to make a touch on the baby and that's all!
Such docs are not helpfully!

Look at me: I went to the hospital and they said:
coming again in 4 weeks for the OP!
I ask my home-docs: they said try a new start at Bethesda Hospital Stuttgart; I do so and today we were welcome from 10 am to 2 pm (without phone in front!) and the OP is on monday, 01.13.2014, and the feeling of the personal guys so warm and good - this was the feeling with the patient! Wonderful!
And for Oskar I wish you such kind of docs !!!